The need for seamless, uninterrupted and reliable communication is one of the top priorities of every house. The wide access to some really useful information base, for every kind of user makes it extremely important to set up a device which delivers high-performance. There are a range of products available in the market that perform the same function. The customer is in a tizzy over the right product to be purchased. And once the purchasing is done, the next big question is to set it up.
What are Wireless Repeaters?
They are networking devices that increase the reach of the existing wireless network. Very often, it happens that a device has to be connected to an existing wireless network, but it is away in a remote place in the house or a building, where the signal strength is too low or unreachable. A wireless repeater is used in such cases to boost the signal strength or simply repeat the signal so that the said computer comes under the coverage area.
How to Set Up the Repeater?
Once the repeater is chosen as per one’s needs, the next step is to set it up. A brief idea of the steps to be followed are provided below:
- The foremost thing is get a standard ‘cat5e’ cable, that has to be connected from the PC to the repeater.
- Once this has been done, verify the connection made from the routers to the PC and the repeaters, to avoid problems in reception of signals.
- Then follow the instructions on the configuration interface.
- Next is to set the Service Set Identifier (SSID’s) that is generally same as the network settings. This relates to the subscriber identity, the network name and also the password for accessing the network.
- Check the compatibility of the device with the computer.
- After checking for the compatibility requirements, the MAC (Media Access Control) address used or configured for the repeater should be exactly same as that of the router setup available. This is the most frequently encountered problem while setting up a wireless repeater.
- Perform a reset operation, a power cycle procedure and then switch on the connections.
In case, the system is not able to give satisfactory signal strength, following the mentioned troubleshooting details will help to improve it.
- Antenna Direction: The antenna of the router is generally omnidirectional and in case it is close to a wall or a partition, much of the signal is wasted. This happens because, the signal is transferred in all directions and part of it going towards the wall is wasted. Hence, place the antenna or the router in a preferably central place or use an antenna which propagates the signal in the required direction.
- Try Other Channels: It is always a good practice to have the USB network adapter in the machine one is using. Try to use different channels to get hooked on to the network.
- Interference: Other devices in the vicinity of the repeater, such as mobile phones may affect the signal quality. Therefore, try to reduce the interference of wireless access by different devices.
- Upgradation: The firmware and the device should be of decent quality and frequently checked or upgraded, for maintaining good signal strength.
- Brand Quality: If all the network equipment is from a single seller or vendor, it is relatively easy to get service quickly and issues related to working can be addressed as soon as possible. Therefore, choosing one brand and sticking to it will give better signal strength.
Computer and communications setup can be very tricky to deal with. Despite all the efforts, if the signal strength cannot be restored or improved, seek assistance from the service provider or the device company. Adhering to the guidelines is the best way to amplify the signal strength and enjoy boundless coverage on wireless networking devices.